Victoria’s Stunt: Book Review
The first book I read in April 2018 was Victoria’s Stunt by Daphyne Chiamaka Okezie. It is an 83 paged ebook which I won in a giveaway by the author for a comment I made on her Facebook post.
Victoria’s Stunt is a novel narrating the story of the villain Victoria Adibe who is an only child to her parents Chief Pius Adibe. Victoria is a very unruly girl. She is rude to the auxiliary staff, and even to her parents. She is greedy and goes as far as conniving with her lover to fake her kidnap and extort 10 million naira from her parents. She had earlier agreed to share the money with her lover but greed makes her to poison him and take the whole money. Will Victoria get away with this murder? Will her parents find out the kidnap was a trick?
The book ends in the most unexpected way when it is discovered that Chief Adibe has been keeping a secret. What is this secret? Will the revelation of this secret bring the family together or tear them apart?
Personal Evaluation of the Book
- I used to think I prefer reading paperback books but I found it interesting reading this book in ebook format. I loved the page formatting, line spacing and font size. It was quite easy to read.
- The moment I started reading the book, I knew I had to get a paper and pen as there were many new words that I needed to write down so that I could check up the meanings later. I liked the fact that reading her book helped to improve my vocabulary. I wrote down over 80 new words.
- The author made good use of figurative expressions like:
“Undoubtedly, he has tasted the sour truth.” Page 15
“The dining table was rich.” Page 22
- I liked how the author introduced political parties in chapter 5 without making reference to any popular political party in Nigeria.
Some sentences and paragraphs didn’t seem to flow when I read it. For example, the author mentioned that the person that abducted Victoria was masked but then she recognized him when he came into the room she was kept. How could she have recognized someone that was masked?
This book is Daphyne’s first novel and I can say it was a great read for a first time author. The suspense, the plot twists and the ending was superb. Well done Daphyne. I look forward to reading more books from you and doing more reviews of your books.
Victoria’s Stunt is now available on Okadabooks app and the price is 300 naira on okadabooks store. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to get a copy of the book:
- Download the Okada Books app on your mobile device or tablet. [Please note that you will not be able to get a copy of the book if you don’t have the okada books app installed on your phone or tablet. The app is free and you can download the app from Playstore.]
- Sign up or sign in if you already have an account
- Click on account/refill and refill your account using your visa or mastercard. Since the book is 500 naira, you should have at least 500 naira in your okadabooks account.
- Click on the “Store” tab on the app and search for “Victoria’s Stunt.”
- Click on the book and then click on buy
- Search the “My books” tab and download the book on the app.
- Once the book has been downloaded, you can read it at any time.
Please don’t hesitate to leave reviews on the app after reading the book. Thank you.